Ash Wednesday - Lent 2017

Lent is officially upon us! Lent is always a time I have looked forward to. There is something about the period of 40 days that motivates me to really try and improve myself every year. I find it a restful and simple season that allows us to focus on those things in our lives that are essential and avoid all those things that are not. It is a season that calls us closer to God and one another through love and mercy, something our world could definitely use right now. Today I celebrated Mass with my students and it was an inspiring way to kick off the season. The priest emphasized the fact that Lent is a season for love, not sadness. It is a season to rekindle our relationship with Christ through working on those areas in our lives where we are lacking love, peace, and moderation.
As for me, I am going to focus on simplicity this Lent. During and after the holiday season I notice that I often get caught up in materialism. Lent is always a great time for me to redirect myself and focus on what is important in life and grow closer to God through this simplicity. This year I am pregnant during Lent so I won't be able to fast as much, therefore I am going to try and up my other sacrifices.

First, I am going to avoid spending money on anything unnecessary - so those little things I am such a sucker for like a soda at the gas station.
Second, I am going to avoid fast food. Since my pregnancy began, I have craved junk food - especially fast food. Thus, for my health and the baby's, I'm gonna ditch this stuff.
Finally, I want to do the 40 bags in 40 days challenge - fill 40 bags on donations from things I don't need to help both free myself from materialism and help those in need. I don't know if I actually have 40 trash bags full of things, so I will fill at least a grocery bag full of stuff a day. Hopefully this helps me also organize and make room for the baby!

I hope this is a prayerful and transformative season for y'all!!

Comments

Popular Posts